Sunday, October 28, 2012

        Sam and I woke up early Monday to get the goats milked so that I could open clinic early. Finishing in record time I cleaned the clinic and then rushed to shower myself.  A cup of coffee and devotions got my head in the game. Clinic started with 10 patients. My goal was to be done in 2 hours so we could start our road trip to the Dominican. I needed my passport stamped and to stay out of the country for a night. As Claire and I got into rhythm of the day patients continued to show up. My 10 patients turned into 25 quickly. I struggled with impatience and worry about reaching the border in time.  I told Claire we were just going to see one more then I needed to close. It was an hour past when I said I would leave. 
Kervin, Max, Wisley
       Then a 14-year-old boy walked in with a towel covering his head. He removed the towel to reveal a grossly swollen jaw and eye.  What caught my attention was the tears and fear that filled his eyes. My heart sank and I prayed. I confessed my impatience to the Lord and thanked Him for reminding me that I am not here for my own purposes, but instead to serve those whom He brings. Selfishness so quickly draws people into themselves and then they can’t see those right in front of them that so greatly need them. After figuring out a treatment plan I took the extra time with this boy to pray with him and was encouraged to find that he knew who Jesus is. He needed to not be afraid.  Several patients later we had reach the end of our workday, and I was off for another adventure.


  The Drowleys and I loaded into the Toyota for a 4-hour drive to the Dominican boarder. After getting our passports stamped we drove to the first checkpoint. They looked at our license plates and said "you can’t drive this car into Dominican you need papers." The only place we could get those papers was an hour away and it was already 4pm. We were told that we could park our car in the police yard and walk across the border. Ken backed the Toyota into the locked parking lot. The Police chief then came out of the building yelling and waving his gun.  We were not to park out car there.  Quickly we vacated the parking lot. 
      Now we were in a dilemma, because it was not safe to leave the car outside on the road. Brainstorming Ken mentioned sending me with a motorcycle across the border. While we debated the police chief walked out to see what we were still doing there. We explained to him our situation and that we were missionaries. His whole countenance changed. “Your missionaries! No problem! Park you car in our lot.”  Now while Ken again backed the Toyota into the parking lot an Angel named Nicalia came. “I can get you and your car across the border, No problem!” The police chief still standing their talked quickly in Creole to him. "Yes, no problem take your car to Dominican for the night." Wow, Praise God!
            
       That was the first two checkpoints just three more to go. The next was another Haitian stop and they were angry because the Police chief had not notified them we were coming. After some discussion they requested our passports and then walked away. Ken attempted to follow but got a metal door slammed in his face. Marla and I sat in the car praying with all our might. Here we were in between Dominican and Haiti in an unauthorized car, no passports, and with for all we knew a Smuggler. 20 minutes later plus a few American dollars we retrieved our passports and were passed through Dominican customs. Nicalia, gave us a tour of his town before depositing us at the only hotel in town. We were very thankful for a hot meal and safe place to sleep.  The next morning he arrive right at 8am to take us safely back through customs.


Moringa Trees
         Arriving back at EGO is always a refreshing because it’s such a haven.  This time was bitter sweet as we knew Sandy was on her way and we needed to get ready.  Praise the Lord she came through with much less force then Isaac.  She also brought cooler weather making it almost feel like fall here, i.e. 77 degrees.

          I received word from home this week that a very dear cousin of mine had passed away.  This was the first time I really struggled with wanting to return home and be with my family. Being in Haiti surrounded with struggle, Home quickly becomes a heaven. In my mind, I figured everything at home was guaranteed safe. Surely since we face so many trials here God would give us a break from trials at home. Going to the Bible for comfort I opened to Luke 9:61-62 ”Still another said, ‘I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.’ Jesus replied, ‘No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.’” Now I don’t think this means I am not allowed to grieve for my dear cousin. It is however a reminder that with service for God comes sacrifice. My work is currently here with these precious little ones. I can’t begin to count the blessings I receive back from God through them each and everyday.
        Friday we had a team coming to take a tour of EGO. A group of five guys arrived in a truck. As I shook Mark and Will hands I learned they lived in Tennessee and come to Haiti about once a month. The kids asked Mark what he did for work, He replied “sing and play guitar.” His voice was hoarse so clearly he couldn’t sing for the kids. Innocently, I asked if he had a CD the kids could listen to. Not on him currently, so we went about our tour of EGO. They were very encouraging and excited about the work here. After they left we looked on the website of their mission Hand and Feet. We discovered that we had been in the company of Audio Adrenaline. Silly me, I have their Cd to play for the kids! 
Check out their website, I love their new music video! handsandfeetproject

Taking our rice to be milled 

No comments:

Post a Comment