Monday, October 8, 2012

Market


Wednesday night after I helped feed the kids, we went to the outhouse. This included 1 flashlight, 20 little ones, 8 outhouse holes and myself. They all wanted to hold on to me while walking, and I almost lost my skirt twice. :-) Each took their turn and after finished gave me big hugs with their unwashed hands as they lined up outside. They are so cute, but such stinkers! I showered directly after!

Today Sam and I ventured to market to buy supplies for salsa. I have been told that Americans pay triple what Haitians pay. I was ready to do my best bartering. The first lady we came to gave a high price for tomatoes. I knew this because my Haitian friend told us so. We moved on to another vendor for better prices. She agreed on a better price and picked out 10 tomatoes and 4 peppers. After, I asked her to throw another pepper in for the same price. She obliged looked at my friend and said, “She barters like a Haitian.” As Sam and I walked home, we calculated that for 3 dollars American we had purchased 5 avocados, 10 tomatoes, 5 oranges, 3 limes, 3 bananas, 5 peppers. Perhaps I could have been a little easier on the bartering!


Matthew 10:16 “I am sending you out like sheep among the wolves. Therefore be shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.”

Harvesting Tilapia at EGO
I love Haiti and the people. They are incredibly resilient having lived in such a hard country for so long. Understandable they are very efficient at getting what they need. Most are incredibly hard working and honest. Others are looking for anyway to get ahead. It saddens me the even within the walls of EGO at times food is stolen and supplies disappear.  People everywhere are sinful not an exception here. Pray for wisdom and discernment among staff. Also that hearts would be softened to hear the truth of who Jesus is.

One of out older girls, we’ll call her Bee, had a lump removed from her breast this week. She was to follow up with the doctor on Thursday in a city an hour away. Doris called on Wednesday to see what needed to be done and if it was necessary for us to travel so far. The doctor she talked to said “no problem, just change the dressing.” 

Thursday afternoon, as I walked past the girls’ dorm I saw all the girls very upset and crying. Bee had received a phone call from her surgeon. He said because she didn’t come in this morning he was going to cut off her breast. He insisted that she come in Friday morning. This got my blood boiling! What sort of doctor would say this to a 13-year-old? I spouted off in creole to the girls about how wrong it was for him to lie to them. They all started grinning from ear to ear. Pastor John said, “You talk like a Haitian.” Here I was all fired up about the situation, and they were all excited to compliment my Creole. The tension of the moment was released. Praise the Lord for the gift of Humor!

Later, We sorted out that Doris had called a different doctor the day before. I called the right surgeon again to explain the situation. He offered no apologies but said he was fine with us handling taking the drain out. Bee was still very upset. To reassure her nothing was going to be removed we ended up driving to see the doctor anyways. There is so much superstition down here that many of the kids struggle with fear.

The Lord was working through this experience. At the hospital we met up with a different doctor who loves the Lord. He has a very extensive public health program in Haiti. He is passionate about serving in Haiti, and was excited about coming to help us at EGO. It is encouraging to remembering that even in ordinary frustrating circumstances Christ is sovereign and working things out for His purpose.

First day of School
 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment