Friday, November 30, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Being in Haiti this year for Thanksgiving makes things a bit different.  Yes, this is partly because its hot and no Parade, Turkey, or football. Also no sitting on the couch looking over the best black friday deals. In fact, if it was not for my fellow Americans, Thanksgiving holiday would not even be acknowledged. Yesterday we forwent the big dinner and instead plan to make a large dinner for all our EGO family Sunday.
So instead of all the Thanksgiving hoopla it was a regular day with regular chores. On our way out to milk to goats at 5:15 Sam asked me what I was thankful for. I said I was thankful for her and her constant companionship. As I worked in Clinic and saw my 20 patients, I was thankful for the health I have had here; and the schooling I received in the states so that I can aide those who are sick.  That afternoon, I picked up Rodline from off the sidewalk where he was sleeping. His fever of a 102, swollen neck and face indicated we now have 5 kids sick with mumps. I was then reminded to be thankful for the amazing family I have. The Mom and Dad who were always there to care for me when I was sick. Just a regular day, but so much to be thankful for!
That evening after dinner the Drowley received a telephone call from the container driver. Marla handed the phone to me as he only spoke Creole. Thank you Jesus I have been able to learn the language so quickly. At 10pm, he pulled in and we were able to recruit 20 Haitian boys to help us unload the 2400 boxes. They finished at 1am, and each helper received one box. We were informed today that after jumping in the La Souix, a local pond. the 20 boys prepared the manna packs to eat at 3 am. It was something simple, but a huge blessing to these boys.

The above is a little late, because Sunday turned out differently then we thought. Sam and I were cooking Thanksgiving for all the kids when I received word of a dog attack. Our guard dog Tasha took a large bite out of a trespasser's leg. After I finished stitching her Doris asked that I come help her with Don. He had been fighting a bug for several days and now was having difficulty breathing. The decision was made to transport him out of the country with Missionary Flights in Cap Haitian. Tuesday he arrived in the U.S.A. and today was released with a clean bill of health. Praise God!

Abby and Angie arrived on Wednesday. They brought in many needed supplies and some just for fun. :-) The kids are already falling in love with them! It is going to be a fun week.




No comments:

Post a Comment