Sunday, September 2, 2012

Isaac



Isaac came through Haiti as only a tropical storm. I am very satisfied with its strength and hope to never go through an actual hurricane. I heard winds so loud it truly sounded like a train. Our windows are glass panes that even when fully shut allow some of the wind through. Like Don said the winds came in waves just like the ocean. Every time I would hear it coming I would pray.  I also would lay in bed and when I heard the wind coming I would turn on my flashlight and watch for something flying threw my window. At one point my iron curtain rod fell on my stomach, but thankfully I wasn’t hurt. The fridge on the back porch was moved 5 feet but amazingly did not tip over. Pictures and glass dropped throughout the house. It was a very long night. That morning we woke up to lots of downed trees throughout EGO. The Lord was with us though because all the trees fell away from houses and dorms.  Everyone is safe and sound at EGO! 
In the city there was much damage. Many people are without housing because their tin covered roofs were blown apart. Later we learned that men would come offer to help clean up the tin and then steal from these poor people.  The Church of God is a block from us and their entire roof collapsed. Because of large amount of power lines down it is estimated six months before city power is up and running. Chain saws are foreign here. EGO has a little one that broke after a day of sawing. The boys and everyone else are using machetes to chop up the many trees. They are surprisingly fast at this. Surviving here is hard enough without adding to the obstacles people face.  Please Pray for the community of Dessalines to come together through this trial. 

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."


Man cutting tree with machete
Clinic has been going well. I am working at learning the language so that when Talente has her baby I'm not lost. Praying that her baby comes the end of September!
 I found out this week why I find so many people with the last name Joseph. Its because when people don’t have a last name it becomes Joseph. Many of our kids here at EGO share the name Joseph.

I just never know what I'm going to see on a clinic day. As my old Director would say "Everyday is a school day!" We had a two month old come in with an outer ear infection that was left long enough for worms to infest her ear. Another lady came in and had her nose almost eaten off from cancer. That however was not why she came to us. She came because an insect bite in her hand had become infected and very swollen. 


Orphan Baby Maddy was brought to me several weeks ago. She is nine months old and weighed 5 Kg. Add diarrhea to her malnutrition and she dropped to 4 KG. Very concerned we sent her to the hospital where they have transferred her to a special facility in Port-au-Prince. She has very long road ahead of her. Thankfully she has a very loving Aunt to care for her.

I see lots of skin conditions. Haitians will sometimes draw with a pen around their rash. They believe that the ink will stop the rash from spreading.


Goats will be Goats. I think Haitian goats are the smartest.  I have started milking the goats and giving it to our littlest ones here at EGO. I love milking and the babies love the milk! Plus I figure it is only fair that since the goats ate my trees I get their milk! Now I need to make a milking stand. Does anybody have a good recipe for goat cheese?



EGO is required by social services to take the kids on field trips during their summer vacation. This week I took a group of younger ones to the first of five forts. There is an actual trail up to the first fort making it do able for little legs.  We had a great time singing up the mountain and having a picnic at the top. On the way down I had two holding each hand and one grasping the back of my skirt to keep his footing. I prayed he wouldn't fall too hard and take my skirt with him. These kids are so precious!!



View from the fifth fort.  This field trip I took with the high schoolers.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27


No comments:

Post a Comment