Sunday, September 23, 2012

David and Goliath



David said to Saul ‘Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine, your servant will go and fight him.’” 1 Samuel 17:32

Saturday afternoon Sam and I had a great time playing puzzles and memory games with the kids. I also had brought my Storybook Bible and a Creole Bible. With one of the workers and several older kids we got the story translated. The worker narrated as I showed the pictures. Two of the older kids happily acted the parts of David and Goliath. The kids sat in silence for 30 minutes spellbound and silent as the story unfolded.  After the sling swung and the giant fell, the kids let out a tremendous shout! It was a success. J The kids and workers immediately asked me when we could read another story!
Sitting behind the kids in church today, it hit me again how hard things are for them. They have been born with so little. I can’t imagine growing up without parents, and then add being in a third world county to the mix. Many of them have attachment and abandonment issues. Haiti has over 500,000 orphans and the highest malnutrition rate in the western hemisphere. Last year only 30 were adopted.
Every day we hear the Voodoo drums beat. Today an angry mob began throwing stones at each other outside the gate. It’s hard to grasp how little ones so precious could be expected to thrive in such difficulty.  Their lives are filled with struggle and little affection. The tragedy however is not what they were born without. The true tragedy would be if these kids never came to know they are fully loved by their Heavenly Father. He loved them so much He sent His son to die on the cross as a sacrificed for them. He desires a personal relationship with them and to give them endless love and security. He loves them, has a place in His Kingdom for them, and wants to make them princes and princess. What if they were never to know this?
There is much to be done here at EGO. Sometimes I feel the fear of standing before a giant. I was encouraged by Davids words to never lose heart. My Jesus is bigger then any struggle or evil down here. He goes before me and is victorious.  Each day He gives me the strength and wisdom I need. Praise God!


Praises:
-Sam and I are bonding with the older girls and have started a weekly bible study with them.

- Moringa Trees are growing and over a foot tall! Sorry I'll work on a picture for next week.

-9 milk goats we are getting 4 quarts of milk every morning! Lots of milk mustaches this week. 

-
-We get manna packs from food for the poor. The kids don’t like the flavor of the soy, so they have been taking it out and feeding the goats. Sam and I’s mission this week was to come up with ways of using the soy that the kids actually will eat. We successfully made hamburgers and goulash out of the whole protein. Don helped us use the wheat grinder to make the protein into flour for use in baking. We made two loaves of bread that were heavy, but tasted great. The kids loved it! This is a huge blessing as it will give the kids better nutrition and save EGO money. 


Manna Packs
Soy Protein


Grinding Soy into Flour

Sam and I are working on organizing the Clinic Depot.


1 comment:

  1. Looks busy down there Beth!

    Quite a change going from Cardiac RN to goat farmer! Just dont feed them too many Moringa trees!!

    God bless you !

    ReplyDelete